Saturday 8 September 2012

Art inspiration: Peter Carrington

So, I was browsing through Tumblr and I found a few of these illustrations and I thought they were amazingly inspiring and breathtaking, and it's really got this magical aura about it that draws me into the drawing.
These drawings are by the talented Peter Carrington, an illustrator from Manchester, who makes artworks about  science, natural history and his struggle to gain knowledge. 
As Carrington states, “I’ve always had an interest in science and nature, and during my studies I decided to combine this with my practice. Through deeper research into different scientific areas it quickly became apparent that, due to having dyslexia, I was never going to get a grip of the topics to make work that wasn’t shallow and ill-informed. I became frustrated that I wouldn’t be able to use the visual language of the sciences that I had become obsessed with. It was at this point that this frustration became the forefront of the work and the drawings became a portrait of me and my struggle with dyslexia. I began using the visuals of science and natural history journals to create seemingly scientific illustrations.”
Carrington’s work harkens back to the history of biology and botany, where drawing and labels were the key to all knowledge, then he adds his own bit of mystical influence. 
To see more of his work, click the link above. 
(CARRINGTON'S BACKGROUND TAKEN FROM ART & SCIENCE JOURNAL)

I've been really obsessed with illustrations and graphics recently, and will probably be showing you more of these works that inspire me. Perhaps one day I'll even share my very own drawings up here, but for now, they're being posted on my Instagram, which is @rosettes, so do take a look if you want to.
Have a lovely weekend! x

No comments:

Post a Comment